Mango and Chickpea Pickles
This recipe is of a tongue tickling grated mango and chick pea pickle combined judiciously with whole and powdered spices.
- kabuli chana (white chick peas) · 1/2 cup
- grated raw mango · 1 1/2 cup
- Herbie's Fennel Seed (whole) · 1 tablespoon
- Herbie's Fenugreek Seed (whole) · 1 tablespoon
- Herbie's Fenugreek Seed (ground) · 1 tablespoon
- Herbie's Turmeric, Madras (ground) · 1 teaspoon
- Herbie's Asafoetida Powder (Hing) · 1/2 teaspoon
- Herbie's Nigella Seed (whole) Kolonji · 1 teaspoon
- Herbie's Chili Kashmiri (whole) · 14
- Herbie's Chili Kashmiri (ground) · 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil (rai / sarson) · 1 1/4 cup
- Salt · 1 tablespoon
- Herbie's Muslin Cloth · 13
Summers in India are quite unbearable, but they have a saving grace and that's the mango season. Everyone looks forward to the yearly mango crop and housewives get busy blending the myriad spices needed for a whole year's supply of mango pickles.
This recipe which is usually called "Aam aur Chane ka Achaar" incorporates tongue tickling grated mango and chick pea pickle combined judiciously with whole and powdered spices.
The chick peas in this recipe take on a sour salty flavor as they are soaked in raw mango juice. Like all oil pickles they have a shelf life of up to one year.
Combine the grated mango, turmeric powder and salt and leave aside for 30 minutes.
Squeeze out all the mango water using a muslin cloth and keep aside. Keep the grated mango aside separately.
Soak the Kabuli chana and fenugreek seeds in the mango water overnight.
Refrigerate the grated mango.
Combine the fenugreek seeds powder, fennel seeds, asafoetida, nigella seeds, whole red chillies, chilli powder and soaked Kabuli chana mixture with the grated mango. Mix well.
Heat the mustard oil. Cool it and add to the prepared mixture. Note: Mustard Oil can be purchased under the brand Swad from Raja Foods. Choose the version blended with vegetable oil.
Bottle the pickle in a sterilized glass jar.
The pickle is ready to eat after 3 to 4 days. Store it a cool dry place for up to 1 year.