Moroccan Chicken Tagine
- Chicken Thighs, boneless skinless · 3 pounds
- Dried apricots, chopped · 2 cups
- Herbie's Tagine Blend · 2 tablespoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil · 1/3 cup
- onion, diced · 1
- Tomato Paste · 2 tablespoons
- Crushed Tomatoes · 14 ounces
- Fresh ginger, grated · 2 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced · 6 cloves
- Chicken stock · 2 cups
- Preserved lemons, minced* · 2
- Green olives (Castelvetranos e.g.), chopped · 1 cup
- Cilantro (for garnish) ·
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom dutch oven or tagine over medium high heat and sear the chicken thighs until golden brown, 5 minutes per side and remove and set aside.
Add the diced onion to the pot and saute until translucent, then add the garlic, ginger and tagine spice mix and saute, 2-3 minutes more. Add the tomato paste and saute another minute until it has turned dark red, being careful not to burn it.
Add the crushed tomatoes, apricots, and chicken stock and bring to a simmer, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan. add the chicken thighs back to the pot, cover, and return to a simmer. Simmer gently until chicken can easily be pulled apart by a fork 30-40 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the olives and preserved lemon.
Serve over rice or cous cous garnished with cilantro