Italian Sausage Ragu with Corn Spoonbread
- 2 lbs Sweet Italian Sausage ·
- 3 Small Red or Yellow Peppers, diced ·
- 2 Yellow onions, diced ·
- 6 cloves garlic, minced ·
- Tomato Paste · 2 tablespoons
- Herbie's Australian oregano · 2 tablespoons
- Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt · 2 teaspoons
- Williamson Wines Allure Meritage · 1 cup
- 1 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes ·
- Freshly Grated Parmesan cheese to garnish ·
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package Corn Muffin Mix ·
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained ·
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can cream style corn ·
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted ·
- 1 cup sour cream ·
- 3 eggs ·
- Herbie's Sweet Hungarian Paprika · 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon Daimond Crystal Kosher salt ·
Heat a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over high heat. Add the sausage and spread over the bottom of the pan and do not touch for five minutes or until the sausage has completely browned on the bottom. At this point start,breaking it into small pieces with a wooden or metal spatula., until browned.
Add peppers and onion and. Saute gently for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent and peppers have softened.
Turn the heat down to medium and add garlic, tomato paste and oregano and cook 3 more minutes until tomato paste turns brick red, but not burned.
Add Williamson Wines Allure Meritage and crushed tomatoes, and salt. Bring to simmer, then turn the heat down so it is bubbling gently. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Serve with Corn Spoonbread or your favorite side garnished with lots of freshly grated Parmesan!
Preheat the oven to 375° and lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the spoon bread is golden brown and set.