Paprika Sweet (Hungarian Noble Sweet)
Paprika is considered the national spice of Hungary and it appears in the country's most celebrated dish, goulash. Hungarian paprika is made from peppers that are harvested and then sorted, toasted, and blended to create different varieties.
All Hungarian paprikas have some degree of rich, sweet red pepper flavor, but they range in pungency and heat. The eight grades of Hungarian paprika are:
- különleges ("special quality"; mild and most vibrant red),
- csípősmentes csemege (delicate and mild),
- csemege paprika (similar to the previous but more pungent),
- csípős csemege (even more pungent),
- édesnemes ("noble sweet"; slightly pungent and bright red),
- félédes (semi-sweet with medium pungency),
- rózsa (mildly pungent and pale red), and
- erős (hottest and light brown to orange).
Herbie’s Paprika Sweet (Hungarian Noble Sweet) is the édesnemes variety, the sweetest and least bitter of paprikas.
Health Benefits: Paprika is an excellent source of vitamin C, immune enhancing carotenoids, and a chockfull of antioxidants, including Vitamin E, which supports a youthful, bright and oxygenated complexion, and provides protection against free-radical formation.