Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Broccoli, trimmed into florets · 1 stalk
- Shallots, rough chopped · 2
- Butter · 2 tablespoons
- Russet Potato, peeled and diced · 1
- Water · 2 quarts
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded · 1 cup
- Kosher Salt · 1/8 cup
- Herbie's Sweet Fragrant Spices · 1 teaspoon
- Herbie's Crunchy Salad Sprinkle · 2 tablespoons
Start by adding the diced potato to a small pot. Then cover the potato with cold water until the potato is fully submerged. Then heat it over med high heat. Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat down to simmer and cook until the potato is tender enough to pierce with a fork. Then strain with a colander and reserve.
To cook the broccoli, start by boiling the water in a large pot over high heat. Once the water comes to a rapid boil, add the salt. Add the broccoli florets and shallots. Cook for about 5 min or until they are completely tender and bright green. Right before you strain the broccoli remove 2 cups of vegetable water from the pot using a ladle. Then strain the remainder the rest of the liquid using a colander.
Add the broccoli and shallots to a high speed blender. Then before you turn it on add the reserved vegetable cooking liquid and butter. Then puree on high until perfectly smooth. Pour the soup back into a pot. Bring the soup to a boil. Once the soup comes up to a boil, remove the pot from the heat, whisk in the cheddar cheese, Herbie's Fragrant Sweet Spices, and a pinch of salt.
Serve the soup immediately, garnish with Herbie's Crunchy Salad Sprinkle and enjoy with Williamson Wines Joy Sauvignon Blanc!
- Do not boil the soup vigorously after you add the cheese or it will get lumpy!
- To make this dish Vegan substitute olive oil for the cheese and butter.