Baharat Spice Blend
Baharat is a wonderfully complex, exotic spice blend that fills your head with diverse aromas. Savory and slightly sweet it is not hot, yet conveys all the romantic fragrances of everything that is spice.
Baharat means “spice” and our Herbie's blend of Baharat is a fine example of this all-purpose Middle Eastern blend also known as Lebanese 7 Spice, and Advieh.
A traditional mix of Baharat, added to recipes in much the same way as Indians would add garam masla, is made by blending a well-balanced combination of sweet, pungent, hot and amalgamating freshly ground spices. The result is a beautifully balanced spice with a woody bouquet, aromatic bay-rum notes, mellifluous cinnamon/cassia sweetness, deep pungency and an apple-like fruitiness.
The flavor is round and full-bodied, sweet and astringent yet with a satisfying and appetite-stimulating pepper bite. While each spice makes its own distinctive contribution and may leave one with a lingering hint of its individuality, no single flavor should dominate.
- Black Currant Glazed Pork Belly with Celery Root Puree
- Borscht Stew
- Butternut Squash and Feta Tartlet
- Baharat blend is often used in the Persian Gulf area to add spice and a little heat to ground meat dishes, couscous, vegetables & vegetable stuffing, and Tunisian egg tagines.
- Baharat adds a nuance of the exotic Middle East to winter warming dishes and is delectable rubbed onto lamb shanks that are browned in a pot and made into a casserole.
- Baharat compliments lamb so well, cutlets and even roasts are improved greatly when the meat is dusted with Baharat and a little salt to taste, allowed to dry-marinate in the fridge for an hour and then cooked.
Paprika, Pepper, Cumin, Cassia, Cloves, Coriander Seed, Cardamom, Nutmeg.
Packet Size: 45g or 1.7 oz