Salt Baked Whole Fish with Lemon and Herbs
- 2 (1-lb) whole branzini (European sea bass) or small sea bass, cleaned, heads and tails left intact ·
- Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt · 4 cups
- Egg Whites · 6
- Herbie's Catch of The Day Spice · 2 tablespoons
- Dill Sprig · 1
- Parsley Sprig · 1
- Meyer Lemon, thinly sliced · 1
- Scallions, cut in two inch pieces · 3
The salt only lightly seasons the fish, but it also traps all the juices and aromas from the herbs and lemon.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Lightly whisk egg whites in a bowl, add salt, stirring, until mixture looks like wet sand.
Rinse fish and pat dry. Sprinkle the cavities of the fish with Catch of The Day Spice and divide remaining ingredients between cavities of fish.
Place 1/3 of the salt in a large shallow baking dish.
Firmly pat remaining salt evenly over each fish to cover fish completely.
Bake fish in middle of oven until salt is just starting to turn golden at edges, 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes.
Crack salt away from fish and discard, then carefully lift fish from bones.
Serve with fresh lemon wedges and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.