- Penne Pasta · 1 pound
- Herbie's Dill Seed (whole) · 2 tablespoons
- Herbie's Italian Seasoning · 1/2 package
- Red Wine · 4 ounces
- Olive Oil · 1 tablespoon
- Capers · 1 package
- Crushed Tomatoes (28oz) · 1 can
- White Anchovies, minced · 6
- Garlic, minced · 6 cloves
- Red Pepper Chili Flakes · 1 teaspoon
- Shallots, minced · 2
- Castlevetrano Olives, pitted and minced · 1 package
- Worcestershire Sauce · 2 ounces
- Salt & Pepper, to taste ·
Start by grinding Herbie's Dill Seeds (Whole) in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Make sure that it is nice and ground up then reserve for later.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer add the garlic, shallots, and chili flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes then add the red wine. Let the wine reduce until almost all of it has evaporated then add the crushed tomatoes, capers, olives, anchovies, worcestershire sauce, salt, Herbie's Italian Seasoning, and Herbie's Dill Seed. Stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 min.
Meanwhile, Heat 1 gallon of water in a large stock pot. Once the water comes to a boil add 3 tablespoon of salt and add the penne pasta. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Once it is cooked strain and serve immediately with the puttanesca sauce on top. Enjoy with a glass of Williamson Vin Rouge!