There couldn’t be a more irresistible curry than Butter Chicken, and this recipe makes an often complicated dish very simple.
- chicken breast, cut into 2 inch pieces · 2.5 pounds
- butter · 1 tablespoon
- plain yoghurt · 3/4 pound
- cloves garlic, crushed · 3
- brown onions, pureed or grated · 2
- tomato sauce · 2 tablespoons
- soft brown sugar · 1 tablespoon
- tomato paste · 1 tablespoon
- mango chutney · 1 tablespoon
- ground almonds · 1 tablespoon
- single cream · 1 cup
- coconut milk · 1/3 cup
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve · 1/2 cup
- flaked almonds, to serve · 2 tablespoons
- Herbie’s Butter Chicken Spice Mix · 1 package
Mix half of the spice mix with yoghurt and coat chicken pieces thoroughly. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Remove from marinade (reserving marinade) and cook under a hot grill for 5 minutes each side to char.
Melt butter in a heavy pan, add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, then add reserved marinade and remaining spices along with tomato paste, tomato sauce, chutney, sugar and ground almonds. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then add chicken and any grill drippings. Stir in cream, coconut milk and salt to taste and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickened.
Serve with steamed basmati rice, fresh coriander and flaked almonds.