Braised Chicken Thighs in Curry and Yogurt
A good curry is warming and satisfying and this particular recipe melds flavors that would lead you to believe that the dish has been simmering for hours. Actually, the whole thing takes a little over a half hour to make, ending in a creamy curry rich with the tang of Greek-style yogurt, a truly flavorful dish, mildly spicy, with just enough heat to add interest.
- water · 1/2 cup
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish ·
- tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped · 1 pound
- Herbie's Curry Powder Mild Madras Style · 1 tablespoon
- red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips · 1
- serrano chile, thinly sliced · 1
- garlic clove, minced · 1
- fresh ginger, minced · 1 tablespoon
- All-purpose flour, for dusting ·
- Salt and freshly ground pepper ·
- skinless, boneless chicken thighs · 1 1/2 pound
- grapeseed or canola oil · 1/4 cup
- Greek-style plain low-fat yogurt · 1/4 cup
- fresh corn kernels from 1 ear (or canned if fresh unavailable) · 1/2 cup
The creaminess in this quick-braised chicken curry comes from tangy Greek-style low-fat yogurt blended with fresh tomatoes, corn kernels, serrano chili, ginger and curry powder for immense flavor. So many curry recipes are too labor intensive for a week-night meal but this one is relatively quick and easy.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lightly dust with flour, tapping off the excess. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Add the ginger, garlic, chili and bell pepper to the skillet and cook over high heat until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, corn, yogurt and water; stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over very low heat until the chicken is tender and the juices are slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken with cilantro and serve.
Serve with steamed rice and a chilled Williamson Chantilly Chardonnay.