American Apple Pie
Our mixed spice does the trick nicely for an Aussie apple pie but we asked Herbie for a specific American apple pie spice blend to make an extra fragrant, spiced apple pie. The blend can also be used in an apple crumble or apple muffins.
- Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced · 5 pounds
- lemon juice · 2 tablespoons
- raw sugar · 3/4 cup
- Herbie’s Apple Pie Spice · 3 teaspoons
- sheets sweet shortcrust pastry · 2
- egg · 1
- raw sugar, for dusting · 2 tablespoons
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine apples, lemon juice, 6 oz sugar and apple pie spice and mix well.
Place one sheet of pastry in a 10 inch pie dish, then fill with apples. Cover with second piece of pastry and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with extra 2 tbsp sugar. Make 5 x 1 inch slits in the pastry top to let the steam escape.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until crust is golden and apples are tender when pierced.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and Caress Cuvée Blanc.