Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Pink Peppercorns and Creme Fraiche
- For Pink Peppercorn Creme Fraiche: ·
- 8 ounces Creme Fraiche ·
- Sugar · 2 tablespoons
- Herbie's Pink Peppercorns, ground · 1 teaspoon
- For The Glaze: ·
- Heavy Cream · 4 cups
- Dark Chocolate Pieces · 16 ounces
- For The Cake: ·
- Unsweetened chocolate · 4 ounces
- 2 cups sugar ·
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter (1 stick), plus more for greasing the pan ·
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan ·
- 2 teaspoons baking soda ·
- 1 teaspoon baking powder ·
- 1 teaspoon sea salt ·
- 1 cup milk ·
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar ·
- 2 eggs ·
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ·
- Herbie's Pink Peppercorns · 2 tablespoons
- Fresh or Frozen Raspberries · 3 cups
For The Glaze:
Bring cream to simmer in a saucepan. Pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
For The Creme Fraiche:
In a small bowl whisk together the creme fraiche, pink peppercorns and sugar.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Add the sugar, unsweetened chocolate, butter and 1 cup of water to a saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally until all of the ingredients are melted and blended. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Grind the pink peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pink peppercorns, and salt.
In a separate bowl, stir together the milk, vinegar. and eggs. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
When the chocolate in the pan has cooled a bit, whisk in the milk mixture and the vanilla. Without over mixing, whisk in the dry ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake on the middle rack until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let the cake cool completely, then remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
When the cake is cool, pour the ganache over the top and let drip down the sides of the cake. Let cool completely until ganache is set, about 1 hour (or put in refrigerator for 30 minutes). Serve with Pink Peppercorn Creme Fraiche.