Culinary Services-Kitchen Management
Kitchen Hygiene & Cleanup ~ Chefs & Kitchen Staff
Before you leave each day
- Place any towels, dish cloths and aprons in the assigned laundry bags.
- Report any breakage, pests, equipment problems and supplies needed.
- Do not leave food leftovers on kitchen counters, or in cupboards, refrigerators or freezers.
- Wash all dishes, utensils, pots and pitchers, trays and cookware in the dishwasher.
- Hand wash encrusted pans and utensils and then wash them in the dishwasher.
- Hand wash coffee maker and coffee ground holder - do not dishwash.
- Wash all cutting boards in dishwasher.
- Turn dishwasher off, drain all water from the dishwasher, remove food particles from the dishwasher drain, clean the catch basket in the dishwasher and towel dry all surfaces of the machine and leave dishwasher door open.
- Remove all food debris from sinks, wash with cleanser and dry.
- Ensure the hand cleaner and paper towel dispensers are full.
- Clean all internal and external surfaces of microwave oven
- Wash, rinse and dry oven tray or turntable.
Refrigerators & Freezers
- Regularly clean each shelf of the refrigerator with Clorox wipes.
- Food products that will be stored in cupboards or fridges must be sealed, and labeled with the name and the date the product was opened. Old and unlabeled foods will be discarded.
- Check the thermometers in the refrigerators. They should register 41°F or below. It is unsafe to store food in the refrigerator if there is a higher thermometer reading.
- Clean or vacuum dust buildup over the fan mesh cover located at the lower rear of each refrigerator as a regular monthly maintenance requirement.
- Make sure oven is cool.
- Clean oven and remove any spills.
- Clean stainless steel parts with clean, damp cloth. No cleansers!
- A water and detergent solution can be used if a stronger cleaning solution is needed.
- Wipe stove burners and grill clean.
No cleanser on grill, please! It will cause grill surfaces to rust and may leave dangerous residues.
- Empty and clean drip pans below burners and grill.